Linda picked up my business card and contacted me asking if I could make a “photo memory quilt”. She wanted this quilt to be for her daughter’s bridal shower. All of the photos include her daughter.
We met at my favorite local fabric shop, Modern Makers, to discuss our plan for the project and choose fabric. She wanted the colors of her daughter’s wedding to make up the quilt. Purple, orange, and platinum. Elizabeth was awesome at helping us choose the fabrics that I made this quilt from.
Linda sent me a quilt she had found that was similar made by someone else. It was a trip-around-the-world pattern, so that’s what we went with.
It went together easy enough. The trickiest part to deal with was my design wall being too small to hold the entire quilt at once.
The quilting design was an orange-peel on every square except the photographs. The photographs are outlined in a stitch-in-the-ditch pattern to avoid any deterioration because of needle holes.
Quilt Pattern: No pattern used, just a Trip-Around-the-World
- Photographs were printed using spoonflower
- Orange: Moonshine by Tula Pink – Static Dot in Tangerine
- Dark Purple: Moda Grunge – Egglplant
- Light Purple: Paint by Carrie Bloomston – News Print in Not Pink
- Grey: Paint by Carrie Bloomston – Painted Solid in Schmutz
- Backing: I think it was a Modern Solids, not sure of the exact color name.
Thread: So Fine #50 – Color #504
Batting: Quilter’s Dream – Dream Cotton
Approximate Size: 75″ x 85″
Quilting Design: Orange peel on all squares except the photographs. Photographs were framed in a stitch-in-the-ditch.